A locksmith service offers expertise on locks and provides an essential service to anyone wanting to secure their premises or valuables. They are particularly useful if you lose a key or if a door lock breaks. Locksmiths have the tools, techniques and the knowledge to open doors when you may have locked yourself out or misplaced your keys.
A locksmith can create keys and other opening devices at very short notice and quickly. A professional locksmith is likely to be very important to you when you least expect or when it’s urgent as well as at times that are not urgent.
You will need to know where to look and how to find out if a particular locksmith is reputable and honest. Here are some tips to bear in mind to minimize the stress when you need a locksmith.
1. You should always have a spare set of keys for every lockable door you have. And even if you lose a set not only will you have the spare set you will have a key from which a new spare set can be made
2. You can give an extra set of keys to another member of your family or a close friend. Getting in touch with them will be easier and cheaper than them will be a lot cheaper and easier than contacting a locksmith. If you have no choice but to call locksmith services then you will need one that is local. But be careful: some locksmiths are not really local nor are they appropriately qualified.
3. There are several places you can look for a locksmith service – the local paper, yellow pages, etc., dedicated online service sites, especially if you have access to the internet on your mobile phone and you can access this if you’re locked out. But it’s also useful if the situation is not an emergency and you just need a new lock for a broken door. You can search, find someone and manage the process online.
4. Before you hire a locksmith to help you make sure you ask for an estimate of all the work that needs to be done and if necessary the replacement parts before the locksmith begins the work. Also, inquire about any additional fees before you agree to have the locksmith start. This is important since some locksmiths might charge extra for attending the job out of hours or for emergency response. Also don’t forget to ask if there is a mileage charge or minimum call out charge.
5. Be sure to ask the locksmith service you choose if they are insured because if any of your property is damaged while the locksmith is repairing the lock or their poor workmanship makes you home insurance is null and voided then at least you are covered.
The art and science of making and breaking locks is carried out by locksmiths and the profession is known as locksmithing.
Sometimes, referred to as security engineering, a well established method of cracking locks and security systems was known as lock picking. The technology behind making locks has not changed since medieval times. The basic technology involves the 'pin tumbler' methodology. Therefore the role of the traditional locksmith has not changed much. However, with the advent of technology in general and digital and lasers, security systems have undergone a metamorphosis. It is only natural that today's security engineer as he is known as is more adept with laser and computer or digital systems rather than the traditional lock.
In the olden days, a single locksmith would make a lock single handedly. Hours of work with use of files and hammer would produce a single lock. Today the method of manufacturing locks have changed. A same basic design is used with one part being unique to each lock. The role of the locksmith also has evolved where today he is more in repairs rather than manufacturing.
Though their role has reduced in the area of production, certain specialized segments such as family vaults remain the domain of the traditional locksmith. Since these are exclusively designed chances of duplication as in locks which are produced in an assembly line environment.
Locksmiths work out of commercial showrooms, they may be moving around in vehicles and do in-house servicing, employed by a company or forensic locksmiths whose job is to investigate burglaries and unearth evidence for investigations.
A new breed of security engineers or electronic lock servicing locksmiths has emerged. They would work for security companies and design the entire security systems working on access control. The locksmith would evaluate the level of security, the threats and design a security plan according to the threat level. The higher the security level the more expensive it becomes. The locksmith has to do a trade-off between cost and security level for the customer.
The profession of a locksmith has also become specialized. It is common to see locksmiths who deal exclusively on domestic locks and keys, automobile locks. Many have become security consultants. There are various certification levels that a locksmith can acquire today depending on his levels of skills, areas of expertise and experience.
Master locksmith is a term coined by the fraternity of locksmiths who claim to have all round skills. However, many countries now insist on certain Certification and registration requirements before the locksmith can use the tag of Master Locksmith.
With dwindling scope of work due to technological innovations such as digital locks, locksmiths now have increased their scope of work to door hardware, door and window frames, door hinges and electric strikes.
Some common terms used by locksmiths are: Bitting, Bolt stump, Change key, Key blank, Key code, Key origination, Key relevance, Locksmith,Maison key system, Master keying, Rekey, Shear line, Slim Jim (lock pick), Tension wrench, Tubular lock pick.
Locksmiths Tools of the Trade - In the Field - Lock - Door Installations
* The map is solely a graphic indicator of the area of service not a business location