A locksmith service offers expertise on locks and provides an essential service to anyone wanting to secure their premises or valuables. They are particularly useful if you lose a key or if a door lock breaks. Locksmiths have the tools, techniques and the knowledge to open doors when you may have locked yourself out or misplaced your keys.
A locksmith can create keys and other opening devices at very short notice and quickly. A professional locksmith is likely to be very important to you when you least expect or when it’s urgent as well as at times that are not urgent.
You will need to know where to look and how to find out if a particular locksmith is reputable and honest. Here are some tips to bear in mind to minimize the stress when you need a locksmith.
1. You should always have a spare set of keys for every lockable door you have. And even if you lose a set not only will you have the spare set you will have a key from which a new spare set can be made
2. You can give an extra set of keys to another member of your family or a close friend. Getting in touch with them will be easier and cheaper than them will be a lot cheaper and easier than contacting a locksmith. If you have no choice but to call locksmith services then you will need one that is local. But be careful: some locksmiths are not really local nor are they appropriately qualified.
3. There are several places you can look for a locksmith service – the local paper, yellow pages, etc., dedicated online service sites, especially if you have access to the internet on your mobile phone and you can access this if you’re locked out. But it’s also useful if the situation is not an emergency and you just need a new lock for a broken door. You can search, find someone and manage the process online.
4. Before you hire a locksmith to help you make sure you ask for an estimate of all the work that needs to be done and if necessary the replacement parts before the locksmith begins the work. Also, inquire about any additional fees before you agree to have the locksmith start. This is important since some locksmiths might charge extra for attending the job out of hours or for emergency response. Also don’t forget to ask if there is a mileage charge or minimum call out charge.
5. Be sure to ask the locksmith service you choose if they are insured because if any of your property is damaged while the locksmith is repairing the lock or their poor workmanship makes you home insurance is null and voided then at least you are covered.
Many enquiries that locksmiths receive, are about the cost to change locks.
Often, clients are meaning to inquire as to just changing the combinations of their existing locks, so they can maintain the same hardware on their doors.
Or when the keys to their house, office or automobile have been misplaced, stolen or even copied unknowingly (suspected), they experience the need to re-code their locks.
Also many new home buyers or new tenants want to make sure that previous residents of their property can no longer gain entry.
Locksmiths across the country vary greatly in their fees. There are accepted industry averages published in locksmith publications like The National Locksmith magazine and the Locksmith Ledger magazine annually, but the going rate can vary from around $5.00 per keyhole to as much as $20.00 per keyhole for residential or commercial door locks and from $10.00 to $35.00 for automobile locks. Often this does not include labor for the removal and refitting of locks.
Master-keying is another charge that most locksmiths charge slightly higher fees for. Often, specialist products like Medeco or Multlock or Primus or Best or Assa or Abloy or Bilock products can incur significantly increased fees due to the higher cost for the pin or disc tumblers.
Altering the lock combinations on your doors is very important to maintaining your peace of mind, the security and privacy of your family members, fellow workers etc.
There are multiple brands that offer key control to further protect from unauthorised duplication of your keys. Contacting your local locksmith is the best option to determine the most suitable and cost effective approach.
Locksmith Key Codes
* The map is solely a graphic indicator of the area of service not a business location